[CLUE-Tech] ALSA sound with Gentoo?

Matthew Porter mfporter at c-creature.com
Mon Aug 16 22:38:27 MDT 2004

Thanks to everyone who offered encourangement and advice on installing
Gentoo.  It was very helpful (and it was interesting to learn that
genkernel is both my "friend" and something I should "avoid like the
plague" -- I've known people like that...)

We installed the OS over the course of the weekend -- set something up
to run, look in on it once in a while, start up the next step, repeat.
By Sunday night we had a system with a 2.6.7 Gentoo kernel, X and
KDE running beautifully.

Now I'm almost ready to get out the Debian Sarge install disk and
start over.  I've been banging my head against a wall trying to get
sound working with ALSA.  It works fine under Knoppix, so I know the
hardware is fine, but with Gentoo, trying to play a test .wav with
aplay results in a variety of error messages, or -- more recently -- a
terrible stream of screeching and popping.  I've followed the Gentoo
install handbook and ALSA guide.  I've tried alsa compiled into the
kernel (which I gather is the way it's "supposed to be done" with
2.6), I've tried compiling alsa as a module, I've even tried genkernel
(though I now understand that's not good for 2.6 - is that right?).

I've gotten several results and error messages in the course of my
efforts; most recently playing .wavs with aplay results in a series of
ugly-sounding pops and the error message:

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:578:(snd_pcm_hw_drain) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_DRAIN failed:
Input/output error

Before I try to collect and post more detailed error messages, allow
me to ask:  Are there some bits of magic for getting alsa to work
in Gentoo that I'm probably missing?  Can anyone recommend additional
sources of information?

Also: Would it be easier to get sound working with a 2.4 kernel, and
is it worth the downgrade?

Thanks again,

 --Matt.