[CLUE-Tech] ALSA sound with Gentoo?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Aug 17 02:59:51 MDT 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 22:38, Matthew Porter wrote:

> Now I'm almost ready to get out the Debian Sarge install disk and
> start over.  I've been banging my head against a wall trying to get
> sound working with ALSA.  It works fine under Knoppix, so I know the
> hardware is fine, but with Gentoo, trying to play a test .wav with

Boot Knoppix, steal the configuration, plop it onto your Gentoo system.  ;-)

List the alsa modules Knoppix loads, make sure they're the same.  Figure out
what (if any) options to those modules Knoppix used (dmesg, etc... your
friends here), and grab any worthy-looking alsa configuration files
from /etc.

Copy all that stuff off to another machine and then boot back to Gentoo and
(after making backups) plop them into place.

This is also a popular and wildly effective way to get X working properly on
Debian systems.  ;-)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com