[CLUE-Tech] ALSA sound with Gentoo?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Aug 18 09:01:39 MDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 10:38:27PM -0600, Matthew Porter wrote:

> Now I'm almost ready to get out the Debian Sarge install disk and
> start over.  I've been banging my head against a wall trying to get
> sound working with ALSA.  It works fine under Knoppix, so I know the

Hey, have you noticed? People used to say, "It works fine under Windows
..." Now they say, "It works fine under Knoppix ..."

Now that's progress :-)

> install handbook and ALSA guide.  I've tried alsa compiled into the
> kernel (which I gather is the way it's "supposed to be done" with
> 2.6),

Really? Sounds like a step backwards to me.

> Before I try to collect and post more detailed error messages, allow
> me to ask:  Are there some bits of magic for getting alsa to work
> in Gentoo that I'm probably missing?  Can anyone recommend additional
> sources of information?

You probably know this, but the ALSA Web site gives module configuration
samples for each supported sound card. The precise steps they give are
for Debian; the main points (order of loading and parameters) should
work on any distribution, but are most likely kernel-version-specific.

> Also: Would it be easier to get sound working with a 2.4 kernel, and
> is it worth the downgrade?

It's only a downgrade if you are giving up 2.6 features you really want
to use. What might those be?

Luddistically yours,
Matt

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;