[CLUE-Tech] DSL question

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Aug 19 12:18:45 MDT 2004

On Thursday 19 August 2004 12:06, Bruce Ediger wrote:
> I did have some troubles last year, when my Cisco 675 gave out in a
> strange way that caused the central office equipment to lock up.  I
> had to call their customer support repeatedly.  I had to lie to
> them each time to tell them that I ran Windows XP at home.  They
> have to know that some segment of their users does not run XP,
> though.

I always tell them I run Linux.  They have always been relatively good
about it (as in, they didn't tell me I needed Windows for support).
But I have only called twice.

> A few caveats: I still use the old "CAP" line encoding, with a
> Cisco 675 router/modem at my end.  If I understand correctly, new
> subscribers get a flakier, less capable device, unless you buy your
> own.  New subscribers get to use "DMT" line encoding.  Also, I pay
> extra (something like $4.95 a month) to stay away from MSN.
> Everything I've heard about MSN was bad - crappy hardware,
> non-existant support, intolerance of everything other than the
> latest Windows on fast hardware.

My mom just got DSL with MSN.  Flakey as hell.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...