[CLUE-Tech] AMD64 MB recommendations?

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Thu Aug 19 13:15:31 MDT 2004

>>I just ordered it for a friend, and will be building the box for him on
>>Tuesday, so check back with me if you want and I'll let you know how it
>>works.  It does have an Nvidia chipset though as this guy is a windows
>>only user.  If any of you have Suse 9.1, or any other distro working
>>good on an nvidia based board, let me know! The Suse 9.1 installer just
>>locks up on me before I can even hit F2 to see it posting info, so I
>>don't even know what's hanging it.
>

> Well, I'm not much interested in running Windows only on it... is this
> SuSE 9.1 for x86, or their 64-bit distro that you're having problems
> with?

My box at home is only 32 bit, Athlon XP 2500+ on an Nforce2 board. When
I try to boot off the 9.1 CD (disc 1) I just see the little Suse lizard
guy and a progress bar, which promptly hangs at about 5% across the
screen.  Hitting F2 does nothing, and neither does Alt-F(1-10).  I
thought I had a bad CD, so I tried booting off the 32 bit DVD that came
with it, and I get the same thing.  I then tried a new CD rom drive of
a different manufacturer, and again, the same thing happens.  I was very
disappointed because I was looking forward to getting 9.1 running at
home.  I should also mention I have an SATA hard drive. which I thought
kernel 2.6.x supports if I'm not mistaken.

--

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com
                                  mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com