[CLUE-Tech] DSL question

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 13:25:38 MDT 2004

I've been using Qwest DSL with Front Range Internet, Inc (FRII) ISP service since 2001 at two
different locations; one IDSL, the other ADSL.  In both cases, I purchased my own Cisco routers
rather than using their Motorola/ActionTec.  I very quickly found the Motorola/ActionTec was very
frequently prone to wierd hangs -- it would indicate that it was on-line, but I was forced to
power cycle it to get any traffic.

If you're looking for the best business rates, I very highly recommend using Qwest/FRII ADSL
service.  I pay about $55 per month total (between the two companies) for 1.5Mbps u/d (I test it
now and then and have found that it's pretty consistent at 1.2Mbps) and an 8-IP static sub-net.

As for Wi-Fi, start with the DSL router -- whichever model is appropriate for the type of DSL
service you get (be it IDSL, ADSL, SDSL, HDSL, etc).  Some DSL routers support Wi-Fi in addition
to Ethernet connections, and you are likely to find one that fits your service.  Just be careful
to match up the protocol version between your existing Wi-Fi card(s) and the new router.  If
you're in the market for a new Wi-Fi card/router combo, check out the reasonably priced Linksys
equipment at Best Buy.  I've had nothing but good experience with Linksys equipment at small
offices and in homes.

--- Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)