[CLUE-Tech] Software Audit

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:58:02 MDT 2004

I feel like a broken record ;)

How about:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/howto/html-single/Small-Netserver-HOWTO.html

It's written using FC1, but you can probably learn a lot and get a lot
of ideas about how to "strip" a system from the fedora-minimal group.

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:02:27 -0600, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> mike> Hey folks, I am a bit dissapointed with RedHat and its
> mike> derivatives.

So don't use them?  Or contribute code to fix them?

> mike> I must be missing something with rh8 and rh9 into fedora.  What
> mike> I want to do is audit my installations and remove unneaded
> mike> software. When I go to the gui to add and remove packages I am
> mike> unsatisfied with the refinement.
>
> Which GUI? Are you talking about the installer?

I think he's talking about the fact that many packages in Anaconda
have dependencies on X and/or gnome, but you are limited in knowing
this during install.  You just say, "oh yeah, such and such tool
sounds nice" but then you get a system with X on it as well.

> mike> Plus for a server why do I need any GUI anyway ..

In general, hard drive space is cheap.  If you don't want X using
system resources, use a lower init level as default.

> mike> There are tons of GTK and other gui support libs...  sigh...
>
> At least in fedora core 2 you can install a server and tell it
> 'no X'
>
> mike> I want to strip this system clean of most "Desktop" related
> mike> stuff :) Just enough to let me strip the system if you know what
> mike> I mean :)
>
> There is also a 'minimal' install at the bottom near the everything
> install. Try using that and then adding anything you need using yum or
> one of the automated tools. ;)

This seems like very good advice to me.  I would add in a step of "fix
/etc/yum.conf to point to some nearer repositories" but other than
that it's great.

Greg