[CLUE-Tech] Software Audit

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 16:00:15 MDT 2004

Sorry to bitch and moan :)

I don't need a lesson in minimalism ... I have built
linux when SLS was the weak man's way out :)

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/howto/html-single/Small-Netserver-HOWTO.html

> It's written using FC1, but you can probably learn a
> lot and get a lot
> of ideas about how to "strip" a system from the
> fedora-minimal group.

> <mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > mike> Hey folks, I am a bit dissapointed with
> RedHat and its
> > mike> derivatives.
>
> So don't use them?  Or contribute code to fix them?
>
> > mike> I must be missing something with rh8 and rh9
> into fedora.  What
> > mike> I want to do is audit my installations and
> remove unneaded
> > mike> software. When I go to the gui to add and
> remove packages I am
> > mike> unsatisfied with the refinement.
> >
> > Which GUI? Are you talking about the installer?

X with twm or mwm ... hehe

> I think he's talking about the fact that many
> packages in Anaconda
> have dependencies on X and/or gnome, but you are
> limited in knowing
> this during install.  You just say, "oh yeah, such
> and such tool
> sounds nice" but then you get a system with X on it
> as well.

Yep and btw the anaconda kickstart script pooped out
at install seems to be broken. For starters the
partition layouts use decimals which kickstart
doestn't like....

> > mike> Plus for a server why do I need any GUI
> anyway ..
>
> In general, hard drive space is cheap.  If you don't
> want X using
> system resources, use a lower init level as default.

Security. Know what is running on your machine before
the FBI shows up at your door. Do your own audit
before they audit you ... I bet it .. ouch is worse
than an IRS audit ... :)

> > mike> There are tons of GTK and other gui support
> libs...  sigh...
> >
> > At least in fedora core 2 you can install a server
> and tell it
> > 'no X'

I don't like all the broken stuff with fedora C2. I
use LVM and even that is broken at boot.....