[CLUE-Tech] kernel drivers

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Wed Aug 25 23:13:57 MDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:34:27 -0600

>Dave Hahn <dhahn at techangle.com> wrote:
>

>>Many stories abound about problem with VIA chipsets under Linux.  Just a
>>thought.
>>

>I just grepped about 4 weeks of /var/log/messages for these errors. Just
>one flurry of them, all at the same time. But their on HDD, and it's known
>that ripping CDs via the IDE driver can cause trouble. In this case, oddly
>enough, the solution is to use the generic SCSI driver, and rip from
>/dev/sg? instead. Why that would be so, since the generic SCSI driver has
>to go through the IDE anyway, I don't know, but it's true.
>
>Other than that, on two Seagate Barracudas, no errors. Yeah, it's a VIA
>chipset, AthlonXP mobo from MSI.

I generally see my errors when I'm opening up X - just doing normal
command line stuff doesn't seem to trigger it, but when X starts up, I
get about 100 lines worth of those errors.  I've had Windows 2000 on
this box before using the Via 4n1 drivers, and it ran awesome for the
last 4 years.  It is now my dev web server running Suse 9.1, and it
previously had all those versions of Red Hat on it, and those errors
just seem odd - it makes me wonder if it's an actual hardware bug that
exists in all Via southbridges or if the driver in the kernel is
actually just not up to par.  Oh well, I guess we'll never know.  Thanks
to everybody for the input.