[CLUE-Tech] Anybody using Arch Linux?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Aug 30 16:51:34 MDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:16:10AM -0600, Jason Lowdermilk wrote:

> I've been using Arch Linux on one of my laptops for several months,
> and I really like it. The package manager (pacman) is _extremely_
> nice, and the repository is kept very up-to-date. I would definitely
> rate the package manager as its strongest "pro". As for cons, it didn't
> configure a number of things automatically: sound, X11/OpenGL, and USB
> storage. These I had to configure manually.

Well, sound and X, I can live with that. I learned a lot about manually
configuring X back in the day, when there was no automatic
configuration. And I've never gotten sound to work on any Linux box
without major tweaking.

On the other hand, e-mail ... now that I've done the Arch installation,
here I am back at Square One, trying to figure out how the hell to get
Exim to deliver the mail (of course, it's a new version, so I can't
just borrow the config file from my Debian box). ARRRRGH!

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)