[CLUE-Tech] Anybody using Arch Linux?

Jason Lowdermilk lowdermilk at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 11:16:10 MDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 08:32:27PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> Well, I'm contemplating switching distros at long last ... I'd like
> something fairly lightweight, but with up-to-date packages. I was
> browsing through Distro Watch, and Arch Linux caught my eye. Has anybody
> tried it? Can you give me a quick summary of its pros and cons?

I've been using Arch Linux on one of my laptops for several months,
and I really like it. The package manager (pacman) is _extremely_
nice, and the repository is kept very up-to-date. I would definitely
rate the package manager as its strongest "pro". As for cons, it didn't
configure a number of things automatically: sound, X11/OpenGL, and USB
storage. These I had to configure manually. On the other hand it did
autodetect my 802.11b pcmcia card. This is on a Fujitsu C-Series laptop.

Regards,
Jason Lowdermilk