[CLUE-Tech] Debian dependencies

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 14:57:12 MST 2004

> Is there a legitimate reason why I can't
> have
> the gnome desktop without having a spreadsheet or word processor?

Here is the virtual package that it is refering to (gnome)
http://packages.debian.org/testing/gnome/gnome

Notice one of the dependencies is gnome-office, which includes,
abiword-gnome.  You can still install all of the gnome components, just
not the virtual package, I suspect that the only thing it is removing
is the virtual package gnome, not all the individual components, which
would show up as probably 30+ packages that it's removing.

So far, the only time I couldn't get apt to do exactly what I wanted it
to do without unecessary packages is with apache/apache2, Some packages
incorrectly require apache, when apache2 will suffice, I'd imagine I
could file a bug report to get it fix, but it hasn't happened recently.

Brandon

=====
People having no choice is a metaphor for the ease with which they can be directed.
-- Sun Tzu, The Art of War