[CLUE-Tech] Gentoo build questions

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Dec 7 17:47:19 MST 2004

Well sports fans,

I've spent about a week trying to figure out how to Stage I a Via
C3-based mini-itx board.  Keep running across little issues, but slowly
working them out.

They're all related to my choice to use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" even
during the bootstrap.

My question for the Gentoo fans is... do you find that "~86" is pretty
stable, unstable, or ...?

I understand it's *supposed* to be somewhat unstable, but the types of
things I'm running across are really childish... like the build scripts
for stuff in "emerge system" calling autoconf 1.8 directly instead of
just "autoconf", so they break unless you emerge autoconf 1.8
specifically into the system first.

Some of the comments on forums.gentoo.org are complaining that this is
becoming far too common in Gentoo releases.  Any thoughts on that?

Just some discussion-fodder.

Next, does anyone know the proper -march settings for a Via C3 CPU?  I
have found via Google searching about three answers to that question so
far, and right now I'm using '-mcpu=i686' which has the following two
problems:

- It's deprecated and whines loudly about it.

- Certain libs will probably fail on the Via C3.  Turns out from other
Google searching that some lib in glibc has some raw ASM in it that
includes the "cmov" command, which is OPTIONAL on i686 according to
Intel (but is in all of their 686 processors) and I haven't seen any
patches for glibc to fix it yet... still waiting for the lib to fail
somewhere in the bootstrap process so I know which one it is... or
perhaps it's "just fixed" by now... especially in "~x86".

So the Via is a true standards-compliant i686 processor, but the
compiler didn't follow the rules.  Sigh.  Oh well, that one will work
itself out.

Finally -- I've seen a few sites that recommend using "-Os" to optimize
for size on this processor, but I really don't understand the purpose.
Any compiler gurus want to tackle that one?  I'm just curious is all.

So far, now that I've "sussed out the problems" as one of my Aussie
friends would say, the emerge's are going well now.  I'm ultimately
planning on playing with Asterisk on this box...

Thanks all,

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com