[CLUE-Tech] ntop & switches

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Wed Dec 8 07:40:23 MST 2004

Hope you bought managed switches!

My suggestion is to put a 2nd NIC in the ntop box and mirror (or span,
depending on lingo) at least your uplink ports to the box. Most switches
limit what all your can mirror, so mirroring every single port may not be
an option.

Plus if the switch is busy you'll end up missing stuff because there's no
way to get 10 FE ports mirrored to a single FE port when they're pegged.