[CLUE-Tech] Gentoo build questions

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 8 11:19:25 MST 2004

Collins Richey wrote:

>I haven't done a gentool install in about a year, but my guess is that
>all of this is at the right place in the food chain if you stick to
>the install instructions (no ~x86 at bootstrap time). Also, it's
>possible that you have encountered a bug in the latest LiveCD. At the
>time I installed, for example, I had to drop back one LiveCD level,
>because there was a bug in getting NICs to work. More so than any
>other software on gentoo, the LiveCD seems to be approved for release
>before it is really stable.

Yeah understood, even before I did it.  ;-)  Just seems like an "easy"
bug to fix the dependency order on this one... couple of posts in
forums.gentoo.org about it, so perhaps some kind devel will clean it up
here shortly.

>>You can't do it during the bootstrap because the gcc version is still
>>too old, but after gcc is rebuilt, '-march=c3' works great.
>>

>Good to know. At least you are using -march instead of -mcpu, since
>that has been known to cause problems (with earlier gcc releases at
>least).

Really?  Interesting.  Of course, the gcc manpage still references them
as being equivalent even in the latest version of the manpage.  (And now
someone's going to tell me the manpage is deprecated and the info file
is more up-to-date.  LOL... Linux and documentation don't ever seem to
get along very well, do they?)

>Just to reiterate. The Stage1 tarball is designed with only one
>purpose in mind: To provide an "extremely minimal" execution
>environment for running a bootstrap to produce an intermediate level
>environment that can in turn produce a current, non-gui linux system.
>If you step outside the capabilities of any phase, YMMV, oops YMWV.
>
>Welcome to the light side <grin>.

Yeah, for my "fun" boxes it's brought some of the fun back into them to
move them to Gentoo... very "leading-edge" packages without being too
far out there on the bleeding edge (even with ~x86 enabled) and fun to
have the source and be able to tweak with things.  I'd *never* put
Gentoo on a production machine unless I was building binary packages for
it with a back-room machine, but for fun... it's been a treat.

Next up: Asterisk!  ;-)

Nate