[CLUE-Tech] Earthlink DSL

qqq1one at yahoo.com qqq1one at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 23:06:13 MST 2004

I signed up for DSL through Earthlink and think it may have been a
mistake.

The Netopia 3300 series Unified Hardware Platform (UHP) DSL modem they
provided doesn't want to let me use more than one computer on it at a
time.  I have a hub plugged into the modem and 2 computers plugged into
the hub.  If one of the computers is already using the DSL, and the
second one tries to use it, the second one has to get the first one to
drop it's connection first.  No wonder Earthlink sells a "Home
Networking" package to support more than one computer at a time -
they've got it disabled in the modem.

I'm wondering what my options are for working around this.  There is no
specific model number listed on the device, other than "Cayman 3300
series".  I tried to telnet into it to see if there was anything I
could tweak, but it refuses my connection.  The web interface does have
an advanced setup section where the user can specify whether to
enable/disable the DHCP/NAT/PPPoE Mode, but this is already enabled.

I am aware of IP forwarding, and that would certainly solve the
problem.  However, I was hoping for a stand-alone solution so that
network traffic destined for the second computer doesn't have to be
serviced by the first computer.  Any ideas?