[clue-tech] Linux on an iMac: Worth it?

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Dec 21 15:56:20 MST 2004

So I just bought an iMac G5 17" flat-panel/computer.  I have been
learning the ins and outs of OS X.  I like it, more or less (although
the hype overdoes it).

I'm curious if anyone has a compelling reason to use Linux on such
hardware?  I have a fast LAN connection to my Linux machine, with
terminal and X application access on the Mac.  I have a Unix-based OS
that can run a lot of the free software I like on Linux, should I
choose.  I won't be ditching OS X, as I want the support for my iPod,
Photoshop, ColorSync, etc...  But how hard is a dual-boot set up?  It's
a 64-bit machine, which I have wanted for my Linux machine for
awhile...

I am curious, does anybody use Linux rather than Mac OS X on Apple
hardware?  Are there any Knoppix-like live CDs for the Mac?

Tim

(PS -> After living with just Linux for years now, the font display on
the Mac surprised me.  For all the griping about the horror of Linux
fonts, the freetype rendering is actually noticeably superior, compared
to whatever Apple uses.  And it is not a hardware issue:  X
applications that display on my Mac, but are KDE apps running on my
Linux box, look better on the same monitor, than the native Mac apps.
I guess all that work on fonts paid off.)
Timothy Klein: tecce at silverklein.net
Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
AIM: TangoCKilo; ICQ:289210734
Hello_World.c:  17 Errors, 31 Warnings