[clue-tech] Linux on an iMac: Worth it?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 22 09:14:35 MST 2004

Timothy Klein wrote:
> So I just bought an iMac G5 17" flat-panel/computer.  I have been
> learning the ins and outs of OS X.  I like it, more or less (although
> the hype overdoes it).

It's BSD with a pretty desktop.  ;-)  The user apps (iTunes, iMovie,
iPhoto) are also rediculously easy to use if you have the hardware for
the latter two.

> I'm curious if anyone has a compelling reason to use Linux on such
> hardware?  I have a fast LAN connection to my Linux machine, with
> terminal and X application access on the Mac.  I have a Unix-based OS
> that can run a lot of the free software I like on Linux, should I
> choose.  I won't be ditching OS X, as I want the support for my iPod,
> Photoshop, ColorSync, etc...  But how hard is a dual-boot set up?  It's
> a 64-bit machine, which I have wanted for my Linux machine for awhile...

I've put Linux on iMac machines, and generally when I got done I went...
"Hmm, yep.  That's Linux."  Nothing exciting or earth-shattering there.
  Especially since you have a full shell and can install tools like Fink
on OSX to get almost all software that's packaged for Debian.

Once it's installed...

fink-get install <blah> -- and you're done.  ;-)

> I am curious, does anybody use Linux rather than Mac OS X on Apple
> hardware?  Are there any Knoppix-like live CDs for the Mac?

Hmm, never looked for one.

> (PS -> After living with just Linux for years now, the font display on
> the Mac surprised me.  For all the griping about the horror of Linux
> fonts, the freetype rendering is actually noticeably superior, compared
> to whatever Apple uses.  And it is not a hardware issue:  X applications
> that display on my Mac, but are KDE apps running on my Linux box, look
> better on the same monitor, than the native Mac apps.  I guess all that
> work on fonts paid off.)

I never bother to do any "work" on my fonts on Linux, and considering
that OSX is now a few years old, it used to look better than the Linux
machines... but not much.

The Apple laptops don't keep up on a price/performance ratio, but
they're nice solid machines that tend to last a while and you rarely
have odd-ball hardware issues with them.  The G5's are speedy, but I
would like to think a 64-bit Opteron home-built might be a bit cheaper
with similar performance.

Being able to run a "real" copy of MS Word or Excel and do Unix stuff
used to be a big draw to the Mac for me for work stuff, but it's getting
so easy to do that with Wine and/or VMWare (and at similar pricing
too... Office for OSX is $$$$$!)... or even just using OpenOffice, that
it's not a big deal anymore.

If you do load Linux and set up all the partitions and stuff... check
out MOL (MacOnLinux)... You can fire up OSX inside your Linux session,
albeit slowly.  I never got it working WAY back in the day, but I have
seen some folks that find that one a net parlor trick.  ;-)

One other feature that works pretty darn well is iChat's video and audio
stuff.  I click on my friend from Albany, NY's username and we just chat
via audio... no messin' around with settings, etc.  It just seems to
always work.

If you share the box with someone else, Expose' (fast user switching)
seems to work real well too.

And power management... for all the work on Linux on ACPI and other
"not-so-standard" standards, Apple machines just go to sleep when you
close them and come back up and restart all the necessary "stuff"
properly when you open them.  That's nice for road-warriors... no
screwing around for days getting the laptop not to be a giant power-hog,
like on most hardware on Linux that I've used so far.

In general, I kinda look at my wife's iBook and the iMacs as "this level
of usability is what the Linux desktops should be shooting for".  The
things just work, and rarely screw up.

The only problem I've run into ever was a font corruption problem on the
old Graphite iMac, which didn't render it unusable, but made some menus
look very wrong.  Unfortunately not even die-hard mac fans have been
able to point out where that problem is, and I'm just living with it, as
I don't feel like reloading that machine right now.

Nate