[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Dec 22 12:04:07 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 10:01, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hmm ... last I heard, CMYK support in the GIMP was still rather crude.

True color management (in non-RGB colorspaces) is still to be added.
It's apparently next up on the todo list with the migration to the GEGL
toolkit.  But CMYK in GIMP is only there is color selection tools at the
moment.

> But I haven't really checked lately; maybe it's usable these days. And
> you probably know this, but bitmap graphics are not great for print
> documents. Unfortunately, Linux doesn't yet have a vector graphics
> editor anywhere near as good as the GIMP.

You should look at Inkscape and Scribus.  The latter is getting very
nice for vector designs, and now includes layer support.  Its getting
very good, very fast.  Scribus is the third piece of the puzzle.  Its
for page layout.  Combine vector art from Inkscape, raster art from GIMP
and page layout from Scribus and you have a good set of tools for print
design work.

--
Michael J. Hammel             When someone asks you, "A penny for your
The Graphics Muse             thoughts," and you put your two cents in, what