[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Dec 22 12:11:18 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 08:19, Jeff Cann wrote:
> Now, using the same fonts in gimp, some fonts (esp italicised) look jagged.
> This particular font is a true-type which I imported from a windoze machine.

Using GIMP2 and True Type along with having anti-aliasing turned on will
get you smooth fonts.  However, when going for print work, you need to
start with the right size of canvas in GIMP.

Find out what DPI you are printing at (something around 150-300DPI is
normal).  Then multiply that by the size of the print you want.  Say you
want an 8.5" x 11" flyer printed at 150DPI.  Your canvas needs to be
8.5*150=1275 pixels wide and 11x150=1650 pixels tall.  With the canvas
that large you'll find that the font size you use will be considerable
larger too.

If you don't do this little bit of math then chances are you'll start
with a canvas that is too small (right inch dimensions but wrong dpi -
probably 72, which is the typical monitor DPI resolution).  That means
when its printed the image will get scaled up to fit the right DPI.
That's what causes the stair stepping in the fonts (aka "jaggies").

> So, the question:  what are graphics people using for the cleanest fonts on
> Linux?

Big canvases.  :-)

You never want to scale up if you can avoid it.  Scaling down is better,
if you have to scale at all.  Best bet:  start with the correct size
canvas so no scaling of the raster image is required when printing by
your printing press.
--
Michael J. Hammel             When someone asks you, "A penny for your
The Graphics Muse             thoughts," and you put your two cents in, what