[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Dec 23 10:09:32 MST 2004

On 23 Dec 2004 10:16:23 -0600
Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> Yes, that's the resolution of your monitor.  Probably an LCD monitor?  I
> think most CRT's are at or around 72-75 DPI,

Well, xdpyinfo says mine is 75x75, but that's not true. But then, this is
RH8. I recall doing the monitor calibration in GIMP way back when I
installed this box. IIRC, GIMP (this is 1.2) doesn't rely on what X
reports. When I boot to FC3, I get something like 92x96 -- numbers in that
range, anyway. IIRC, Gimp2 will take if from X, or let you calibrate.  And
either Mozilla or Firefox (both?) has a monitor resolution calibration
too, which confirmed a number in the 90's, although it was calculated only
on the X axis. It amused me to put a ruler on the screen to measure a
displayed line. But what X.org reports is much closer to the truth.

This is a Sony 19" CPD-E400 -- I bought it, hmmm, seems like over 4 years
ago.

As an experiment, a while back, I tried using a 100DPI Type1 Font for
something (menu face, or rxvt face or something like that). It wasn't
pretty on the screen.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/