[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Dec 23 20:37:31 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 11:05, Jeff Cann wrote:
> OK, but when I create the image in gimp using the template, it is marked as
> 300 DPI, so that should be sufficient, right?

Sufficient is relative.  You should set it to what your printer needs it
to be.

> I'm a bit confused.  Do you set your monitor DPI to 250 or the DPI of your new
> images to 250?  I'm assuming the latter, but please confirm.  The reason I'm
> assuming this is because I didn't think you can change the DPI of a monitor -
> by I'm totally ignorant about this stuff [obviously].

You can't really change your monitor DPI.  It just is what it is.  The
DPI for the image can be set either when you open a new canvas or use
the Image->Scale option.

Don't worry 'bout not knowing the details here.  Details like this are
not normally known by the average desktop user.  You have to spend a bit
of time really working with prints - and detailed, high quality prints
at that - before you start to ask the questions that even lead you down
this path.  :-)
--
Michael J. Hammel - mjhammel at graphics-muse.org - XEUS: www.ximba.org