[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Dec 23 21:00:57 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 12:17, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Oh? Then what do you call this?
>
>      Subsection "Display"
>          Depth       24
>          Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>          ViewPort    0 0
>      EndSubsection
>
> I don't think I need to say that modern CRT monitors look just fine at
> various resolutions.

This is the perceived resolution.  X is vector based when it comes to
drawing windows.  Bitmaps allow it to store raster images in memory and
manage them appropriately, but you still need to scale them depending on
the situation - that's why there are multiple sizes for common desktop
icons in GNOME.

So the Modes is only representative of configurations that define how
the monitor refreshes itself.  The DPI remains the same no matter what.

> Of course, you're right to the extent that there's no straightforward
> way to give your monitor an arbitrary DPI setting.

To my knowledge, there is no way to do it in a non-straightforward way.
I'm not aware of any (though they may exist) monitors that can change
their DPI settings.
--
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse                If you chase two rabbits, both will escape.