[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Dec 23 10:40:54 MST 2004

Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Jeff Cann wrote:
>

>>Is photoshop a vector program?  Other people I know use it for CMYK.
>>Just curious.
>
> AFAIK, it's a raster program. Isn't Illustrator Adobe's vector drawing
> package?

Yes, and yes. But that's not directly related to CMYK support. The
reason why vector graphics are generally preferable to raster is that
they will scale to any resolution and print equally well. Whereas raster
graphics, for the best results, have to be designed at the output
resolution. Which means (a) if you create an image and then want to do
something different with it, like printing at a different resolution,
you lose quality when you scale it; and (b) doing large graphics for
print requires a %#&@*()load of memory.

Furthermore, you can usually import raster graphics into vector, but not
vice versa.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA