[clue-tech] gimp fonts for [printed] graphics

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Dec 23 20:57:42 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 12:36, Jeff Cann wrote:
> Yes.  You can set the default X,Y resolution in the preferences for gimp 2.
> You can also change it when you create a new image.  As you increase the DPI
> (default is 72 x 72), the number of pixels increases proportionately (as
> expected).  It's interesting to note that at 300 DPI, an 8 1/2 x 11 image is
> 65 MB!

Should be about 33MB:  (8.5x300)*(11*300)*4 = 33.6MB.  The 4 is 1-byte
per channel (Red, Green, Blue and Alpha).  This is just for a single
layer with no modifications at all, however.  Once you start changing
the image and adding layers, it grows really fast.  The 32MB swap size
is common for this but you can change it to higher values if you have
oodles of memory.

> As a side note - I know understand why 'desktop' publishing has been a
> revolution.  When we did these brochures on Open Office, exported to PDF and
> sent it to Kinko's, I didn't have to know squat about DPI or CMYK or
> whatever.  We just printed it an it looked good.  However, a printing process
> is cheaper which is why I'm going to a print shop instead of Kinkos.

Desktop publishing made "color management" (printing included) pretty
much point and click.  But when you get into the real meat of things you
still have to learn why things work.  Most Photoshop artists still have
to understand color management techniques, color spaces, and so forth
even if the tools will manage most of it for them.

--
Michael J. Hammel
The Graphics Muse             I'd explain it to you, but your brain would