[clue-tech] upgrade question

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 10:36:52 MST 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:58:16 -0700, Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:
> I have a P1 that is running Suse 9.0 and Win2k dual boot.  I'm tired of the
> lack of speed and memory, but don't want to reinstall the existing aps or
> risk losing data.
>
> If I buy a P4 sans hard drives and just slap in my two existing physical
> hard drives, will the system be smart enough to pick up on the hardware
> changes during the boot process, or am I risking some unsuspected system chaos?

SUSE will probably pick up most changes, though you'll probably need
to reconfigure X, sound, etc.

W2K may be more problematic, though I can't speak from experience.
Back when I used Win98, I tried something like that, and I remember it
being a royal pain. I think I eventually decided it'd be easier to
re-install Windows.

Best,

Zonker

--
Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
xonker at gmail.com
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy
to state I finally won out over it." ~ Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"