[clue-tech] upgrade question

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Sun Dec 26 11:52:01 MST 2004

At 11:00 AM 12/26/2004, Jed S. Baer wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:58:16 -0700
>Charles Oriez wrote:
>
> > If I buy a P4 sans hard drives and just slap in my two existing physical
> > hard drives, will the system be smart enough to pick up on the hardware
> > changes during the boot process, or am I risking some unsuspected system
> > chaos?
>
>Only major thing I can think of is if you've compiled a custom kernel, and
>don't have the modules you need. The other thing is if something in the
>new hardward isn't supported -- just be sure to pay attention, in
>particular, to the video card, that is if you get a mobo with an embedded
>video controller and want to us it. Of course, you can just disable the
>onboard video, and transfer your existing video card over as well.
>Although it sounds as if you'd be better of with a newer video card. P1?
>That'd be even before AGP, right?

thanks Jed, et al

yes, new video card. I had a monitor go out awhile ago, bought a new one
and never got good performance with the existing video card.  every video
card in the store insisted it had to run on a p2 or better.  That was
probably what pushed me over the brink to trying this swap.  So I have a
new ATI Radeon 9200. If I can get the Suse working, I wont worry too much
about the windows side.

2K has a better rep than 98, so I am a little more comfortable there.
Message received about backups.  I have a server with 400M mostly unused
sitting off site. I can backup data. one of my other pains was the absence
of a functional backup tape drive that worked on w2k on anything older than
a P2. That is on my shopping list.

--
coriez at oriez.org 39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W       AIM handle caoriez
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken