[clue-tech] upgrade question

Adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Sun Dec 26 14:05:45 MST 2004

Charles Oriez wrote:

> I have a P1 that is running Suse 9.0 and Win2k dual boot.  I'm tired
> of the lack of speed and memory, but don't want to reinstall the
> existing aps or risk losing data.
>
> If I buy a P4 sans hard drives and just slap in my two existing
> physical hard drives, will the system be smart enough to pick up on
> the hardware changes during the boot process, or am I risking some
> unsuspected system chaos?

How were you running Windows 2000 and Suse 9.0 on a Pentium?  Don't
those only go to like, 233?

I've done a few things like this before, but never with such a large
change in hardware.  Pentium 2 to pentium 3, single to dual, etc.

Windows may sit for about an hour and ask for drivers, but it *should*
be able to *boot* correctly, although I can't promise it'll be the most
stable thing in the world.  Since it's got to upgrade so many drivers,
it may kinda wonk it out (It shouldn't, but sometimes it does) .
Changing motherboards is usually easy with Windows, but YMMV.

For Linux, if you have a decent kernel with all the drivers you need,
and your binaries/libraries are not CPU specific, you should be able to
swap out the hardware.  Kudzu, or whatever else runs to detect new
hardware'll go nuts.

Again, your mileage may WILDLY vary.  Give it a shot, it can't hurt! If
all else fails, pop in a knoppix disk, back it up somewhere, and see if
you can rebuild without formatting.

Adam