[clue-tech] upgrade question

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Dec 26 15:15:02 MST 2004

Charles Oriez wrote:
[...]
> If I buy a P4 sans hard drives and just slap in my two existing physical
> hard drives, will the system be smart enough to pick up on the hardware
> changes during the boot process, or am I risking some unsuspected system
> chaos?

Since IDE controllers have changed a lot since P1 you should get the new
machine with a disk (ATA 133 or whatever--part of the speed up you'll
see on new hardware is higher IDE throughput).

You can't move your Win2k install to a new motherboard.  Period, end of
sentence, been there, done that.  The reason is that Windows uses a
driver that is chipset specific to your IDE controller.  Once you go to
a new controller Windows will choke when it loads the wrong driver (it
will "boot" but then will give you a stop 0x7B).  I have seen registry
hacks you can use to change the driver but they're ugly (even as
registry hacks go).

So once you've got your new machine, if it has a shiny new disk,
partition it and install Windows.  If you want Win2k and all your apps,
back up the old machine and restore to the new (Windows backup is smart
enough to merge the new/old drivers in the registry).  You'll still have
some driver reinstalls to do, most likely but they should be easy.

If you don't want your apps you can leave the new install as is, or
upgrade to XP (or whatever comes with the P4).  If you don't have a new
disk do the same thing (backup, reinstall, restore) on the old disk.

For Linux you can put the new disk in the old box, partition the free
space for Linux and format, cp -ax your data to the new drive, and
install a boot loader.  Move the new drive to the new box and boot.  I
can't say how easily SuSE will handle the new hardware but once you
change the various config files to use the correct drivers all should be
well.  That should be easy but it depends how adept you are at
configuring things that aren't autodetected (and you don't have the
installer "let me set this up for you routines" to help).

Seems to me you've got the experience to handle the driver tweaking, and
putting the boot loader on the new drive while booted off the old one.
Just have to pay attention to what you're doing since you probably don't
do it every day.

HTH,