[clue-tech] Big Shock in FC3 Today

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Dec 27 19:06:12 MST 2004

I'm still working on getting my FC3 install to a point where I can live
with it. Today I finally got Fvwm installed (which turned out to be way
simpler than I had thought it would be), and then I got the big shock.

I'd been working in KDE, doing things like importing bookmarks and setting
preferences -- trying out Galeon, Mozilla, and Firefox. I had all 3 of
them configured pretty much how I like them. So I was more than shocked to
discover that all of that stuff was lost when using Fvwm. Now I assume
that if I fire up KDE again, it'll all be there.

But I have real hard time with application preferences that are swallowed
up into the maw of a desktop environment, such that they're lost when
switching environments. Particularly something such as browser bookmarks,
which can be a substantial thing to deal with, if you're like me and have
(I'm guessing) a couple thousand or so.

I didn't try bringing up Gnome to see what things look like there.

Has anyone else noticed this when switching between desktop environments
(or abandoning them and just using a plain WM without an "environment")?

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/