[clue-tech] Big Shock in FC3 Today

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:37:35 MST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:02:18 -0700, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> I'm still working on getting my FC3 install to a point where I can live
> with it. Today I finally got Fvwm installed (which turned out to be way
> simpler than I had thought it would be), and then I got the big shock.
>
> I'd been working in KDE, doing things like importing bookmarks and setting
> preferences -- trying out Galeon, Mozilla, and Firefox. I had all 3 of
> them configured pretty much how I like them. So I was more than shocked to
> discover that all of that stuff was lost when using Fvwm. Now I assume
> that if I fire up KDE again, it'll all be there.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, Jed. If you're talking about window
styles and borders, etc., those things are in the bailiwick of the
window/desktop manager. If you're talking about font sizes and font
choices and tabbed window settings and bookmarks and popup window
controls and proxies, etc., those things are inscribed in your
~/.mozilla directory  where the profiles are stored for mozilla and
firefox. It's been too long since I used Galeon, so I don't know how
it handles preferences.

Also, not every window manager can save the session settings as well
as kde. The very latest xfce does a tolerable job.

hth,

--
 Collins