[clue-tech] Big Shock in FC3 Today

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Dec 28 11:22:30 MST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:42:05 -0700
David Anselmi wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
> [...]
> > I'd been working in KDE, doing things like importing bookmarks and
> > setting preferences -- trying out Galeon, Mozilla, and Firefox. I had
> > all 3 of them configured pretty much how I like them. So I was more
> > than shocked to discover that all of that stuff was lost when using
> > Fvwm. Now I assume that if I fire up KDE again, it'll all be there.
>
> "All of that stuff" isn't really specific enough for a good hypothesis.
>   But from what I know of Mozilla it seems unlikely that the WM would
> change settings--the Gnome/KDE browsers maybe, they're probably
> "integrated" with the environment.

Well, it includes bookmarks, toolbar customizations (removing 1 toolbar,
and moving 2 of its 3 controls to another bar), and application settings
for fonts and proxy.

> Could it be that Fvwm starts the apps with a different config than KDE?
>   Some kind of command line switch maybe?

No, as I mentioned to Tim, Fvwm doesn't even concern itself with this.

I have to assume that KDE somehow redirects the path-to-prefs into its
environment storage location. I have to guess that Gnome does too.

A little grepping should bear this out, as I should be able to find
multiple occurrences of some things.

I was so floored by it when I fired up Galeon under Fvwm that mainly I
just wanted to get out of there and back in to my sane RH8 environment.
(Or as sane as anything can be when using Gnome2)

> > Particularly something such as browser bookmarks, which can be a
> > substantial thing to deal with, if you're like me and have (I'm
> > guessing) a couple thousand or so.
>
> I like Google's interface to my bookmarks better than Mozilla's.  But I
> guess that's a different thread.

Yeah, bookmark management. Reminiscent of the whole "how many mimetype
config files do I really need" thing.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E