[CLUE-Tech] my beloved pine and pico

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Thu Feb 5 15:10:33 MST 2004

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:11:55 -0700
Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use Fedora Core 1 today... and I'm very disappointed to
> see that Pine was dropped from the release due to some kind of license
> dispute. (I swear, if all the liceneses would just get along, linux
> would be sooo much better!) Anyhoo, I now would like to find a
> replacement for both command line email and my text editor.  Pico was
> great - I learned it 11 years ago on Solaris, and I never looked back.
> I know of emacs and vi, but vi seems hard to use for me.  Without
> starting a flame war, can someone please let me know which email client
> and text editors you think are the best... and most likely to not get
> dropped from a future Red Hat / Fedora release?  Thanks.

I belive the MUA of choice for RH/Fedora would be Mutt, if you're
looking for a text-mode client. Mutt can be configured to act more or
less like Pine in conjunction with the Nano editor, which is a GNU
replacement for Pico. It's not a perfect replacement, but it will do in
a pinch, and you might find that you like Mutt a bit more when you
explore all the other stuff it can do.

There's no "license dispute" really -- Pine has always had a rather
restrictive license. It allows redistribution, but if I recall
correctly, you cannot redistribute Pine with any modifications in source
or binary form -- which usually means that it is necessary to distribute
Pine as-is, or to distribute it in source code form and require the user
to compile it with patches to get it to work correctly. I think Debian
distributes pine in source-code only with patches that have to be
applied after the fact for it to work on Debian -- a few years ago I was
using a Debian system and wanted to use Pine, which required quite a few
gyrations to get it set up.

Best,
Zonker
--
"A leader is best when people barely know that he exists,
less good when they obey and acclaim him, worse when they