[CLUE-Tech] odd mouse problems with gentoo

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Thu Feb 5 19:29:13 MST 2004

just installed gentoo on my desktop, using 2.4.24 kernel and whatever
the latest X is (4.3?)

my mouse (logitech optical usb w/wheel) is detected at boot as an hid
device, and attached to /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0. i simlinked this to
/dev/usbmouse (/dev/mouse wasn't letting me simlink for some reason). i
told x to use /dev/usbmouse. when i cat /dev/usbmouse and move the mouse
i get all sorts of weird characters, so i know it's working (other
places commonly used for mouse like /dev/mouse and /dev/input/mice don't
have any output from a cat).

when i run startx the nvidia splash screen comes up and whatever that
ugly default WM is. depending on the protocol used, i get different
behaviors. 'auto' leaves the screen on the wm and locked up, hitting
ctl+alt+Backspace kills it, after a minute or 2. with IMPS/2, all mouse
movements send it down and to the left. with 'PS/2' it moves very
erratically and behaves like it's clicking all over the place (so much
random movement it even crashed X once). ExplorerPS/2 is similar to
IMPS/2 with down/left movements and other random things.

i've looked at the docs on xfree's website, searched the gentoo forums,
and even asked in freenode.net/#gentoo. nobody seems to know what's
going on. the mouse works fine in windows and freebsd (with the same
version of x) and the slax livecd (a livecd version of slackware, think
zipslack with a gui).

i'm not sure if it's an X issue or a kernel/driver issue. i believe i
have all the right things selected in the kernel for usb mouse
operation, i can post the relavent parts of my kernel .config file.

thanks in advance...

-evan (posting from windows unfortunately)