[CLUE-Tech] my beloved pine and pico

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 17:56:47 MST 2004

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:11:55 -0700
Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use Fedora Core 1 today... and I'm very disappointed to
> see that Pine was dropped from the release due to some kind of license
>
> dispute. (I swear, if all the liceneses would just get along, linux
> would be sooo much better!) Anyhoo, I now would like to find a
> replacement for both command line email and my text editor.  Pico was
> great - I learned it 11 years ago on Solaris, and I never looked back.
>
> I know of emacs and vi, but vi seems hard to use for me.  Without
> starting a flame war, can someone please let me know which email
> client and text editors you think are the best... and most likely to
> not get dropped from a future Red Hat / Fedora release?  Thanks.
> --

As others have said:

1. If you like it, keep it.  Download, install, and enjoy.  Red Hat's
indigestion with licenses should have no effect on you, unless you so
choose.  Reminds me of the Debian heartburn over QT of years gone by.

2. If Pine doesn't meet your needs, lots of folks like mutt.  Integrates
well with spam eater software.

3. Lots of editors to choose from - Nano, Beaver, and there's even a
really simple NotePad look-alike (I'll have to dig up the details).  Of
course, we could open up the all time favorite flame war and suggest
Emacs <g>.  Due to extreme laziness, I still use vi for most everything.

4. Personally, I wouldn't use a character-mode mailer on a regular
basis.  Sylpheed is the mailer that I've used for years.
Sylpheed-claws, the development variant, has the ability to interface
with spam eaters, but I havn't implemented that feature yet.

Enjoy,

--
Collins - Denver Area -
Gentoo stable kernel 2.6.2-rc1