[CLUE-Tech] my beloved pine and pico

Dave Price dp_kinaole at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 17:09:33 MST 2004

Mike,

Try mutt ... http://mutt.org

At the risk of starting an editor war, I will offer that I prefer vim.

One really nice thing about mutt is that you can tell it what editor
_you_ prefer.  If you liked pico, then joe might work well for you.

Mutt lovers will of course point out that you can confure "just about
everything" in mutt, including things you never would have imagined.

See http://mutt.org/links.html#config for sample .muttrc files.

Here are a couple of .muttrc hooks I use:

# Since I receive mail at yahoo (in mutt using a package called
# 'yahoopop') I need to tweak the 'from Headers' a bit:

set from="dp_kinaole at yahoo.com"
set use_from  # create From: Header
set envelope_from

# I definitely want to 'cc' myself:

set record=+outbox

# I like having the headers on incoming mail 'stripped-down' for me, which
# is easy:

color header brightgreen default ^Subject:
# Sven's draconian header weeding
ignore *
unignore from date subject to cc
unignore organization organisation x-mailer: x-newsreader: x-mailing-list:
unignore posted-to:

# I used to use 'enscript' to print from mutt, until I discovered
# the 'muttprint' package (debian knows about it, and I think it is on
# sourceforge.)

#set print_command=/usr/bin/enscript
set print_command="muttprint"

set record=+outbox

# Take care of html-ized email:

auto_view text/html text/enriched

# Here iare the mailboxes I want mutt to 'watch' for me:
# ... editted of course

mailboxes =spool =clue-talk =clue-tech =rmiug =pimlist =zspam_in

# spamassassin/procmail puts spam in a zspam_in mailbox
# (folder) for me when I open this mailbox, everything is
# marked for deletion as soon as I close it.  Be careful.

folder-hook zspam_in push 'D.\n'
folder-hook zspam_in unignore X-Spam-Status:

Hope this helps.

aloha,
dave