[CLUE-Tech] Re: was pine and pico, now: Fedora

black at galaxy.silvren.com black at galaxy.silvren.com
Fri Feb 6 08:44:37 MST 2004

Slight change of subject here...

I am in the throes of moving stuff from an old Mandrake box to Fedora.
Here's a few observations I had.

1. xmms doesn't support mp3's due to licensing worries, if you want that
then uninstall the rpm and compile from source.

2. the update support is ok (FREE!!!), and fails grabbing packages a lot.
If you get a message about a packages signature not matching, do NOT
continue, start over. If you continue it tries to install the package
anyway (which obviously must fail, only half the rpm is there) however it
will flag it as a successful update. Anyone else seen this?

3. tcl.h is NOWHERE in any of the rpm's, even though tcl8.3 is. I went
through each cd with "ls /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMs | xargs rpm -qlp >>
~/discfiles.txt" and grepped the whole list for it. I wonder how much
other include file stuff is missing. Wonder why they didn't install
tcl8.4, its been out for ages.