[CLUE-Tech] Re: was pine and pico, now: Fedora

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Fri Feb 6 10:19:24 MST 2004

* black at galaxy.silvren.com <black at galaxy.silvren.com> [02/06/04 09:56]:
> Slight change of subject here...
>
> I am in the throes of moving stuff from an old Mandrake box to Fedora.
> Here's a few observations I had.
>
> 1. xmms doesn't support mp3's due to licensing worries, if you want that
> then uninstall the rpm and compile from source.
Check out livna.org, they are providing a lot of multimedia packages that are
missing from Fedora and one of them is xmms-mp3. You can add it to your yum,
apt, or up2date config file and get all of it automatically.
While you're at it you may want to check out jpackage.org for a bunch of Java
related packages.

> 2. the update support is ok (FREE!!!), and fails grabbing packages a lot.
> If you get a message about a packages signature not matching, do NOT
> continue, start over. If you continue it tries to install the package
> anyway (which obviously must fail, only half the rpm is there) however it
> will flag it as a successful update. Anyone else seen this?
Use a mirror instead of the official site. I have setup a local mirror here for
all my systems. I may talk to some people here about making it public, if I do
then I'll let you all know.

> 3. tcl.h is NOWHERE in any of the rpm's, even though tcl8.3 is. I went
> through each cd with "ls /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMs | xargs rpm -qlp >>
> ~/discfiles.txt" and grepped the whole list for it. I wonder how much
> other include file stuff is missing. Wonder why they didn't install
> tcl8.4, its been out for ages.
Check out tcl-devel for the file /usr/include/tcl.h

Mike Robbert