[CLUE-Tech] my beloved pine and pico

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Feb 6 21:21:26 MST 2004

>Also, as much as people think emacs is the editor from hell, it can
>actually be quite easy to use.  For one thing there is no distinction
>between "command" mode and "edit" mode (ala, vi).  Plus, with the
>menus and such, I think a newbie could do quite well.

No, of course it's much easier to use ctrl-c ctrl-m ctrl-x ctrl-f to
load a file!  Honestly I think vi is easier.  I only say that because I
could never get the hang of emacs, and I appreciate the efficiency of vi
once you get used to it.  I wish I could start using emacs because it is
more than just an editor, and can be configured to become an IDE or
other cool things.  (I bet emacs could even serve as a shell.)  But I
can't even figure out how to use it.  I was really naive to think I
could figure out the .emacs file which are probably 100x more confusing.

The the with the "I like vi" vs "I like emacs" debate is that both are
considerably powerful/nice to use, and as such both take a certain
amount of time to learn.  Therefore, once you learn one, the law of
diminishing returns just isn't on your side to learn the other one.

Angelo