[CLUE-Tech] odd mouse problems with gentoo

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 14:48:45 MST 2004

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 12:49:16 -0700
Evan Widger <PsychoI3oy at linkline.com> wrote:

> so yeah, mouse is working fine and i just got thunderbird all set up
> and copied my maildirs over (and my prefs.js with a bit of editing)
> and am now up and running in Gentoo. and i just enabled gpg/pgp
> signing and encrypting so lets see if this works...

Congratulations, Evan.  Unless you're a confirmed RPM lover <g>, you'll
love Gentoo.

I've been running Gentoo since prior to version 1.0.  Every time
I put up a Red Hat, SUSE, etc., I get sucked in by how easy it is, but
then I discover I need a particular package, and of, course, the big
boys haven't seen fit to provide a suitable RPM.  Or there's
Mandrake, where Cooker has an RPM for everything, but it won't
necessarily work on regular Mandrake!  After a short tour through RPM
hell, I scrap the install and revert back to Gentoo.

I'm putting together a Gentoo presentation for one of the future CLUE
meetings, and any insight you may have would be appreciated.

Not that it matters, but which stage approach did you use and did you
use the older 1.4 tarballs or the newest 2004 tarballs?  Did you
install using a LiveCD or from an existing distro?  How long did it take
you to reach a usable desktop and using what CPU? Did you have any
problems with the documentation?  Any other thoughts about the
installation?  Are you sticking with x86 (i.e. stable), or are you
planning to use~x86 (i.e. testing) packages?  Are you running a 2.4 or
2.6 kernel?

Thanks,

--
Collins - Denver Area -