[CLUE-Tech] Gentoo installs (was Re: odd mouse problems with gentoo)

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Sun Feb 8 02:18:23 MST 2004

stage 1 with the gentoo 2004 livecd from 1/28/04 (or so). i'm not sure
what the tarball was, i think it was 1.4. it took about 6 hours of
actual compiling and downloading (256/256 dsl) but that was spread out
over 2 days with that nasty 'work' stuff in between. it's an athlon
tbird 1.1ghz with 256mb ram and about 7gb of my 40gb disk given to
gentoo. i'm using whatever stable/testing packages necesary to make
things work. i don't think i've had to use a testing one but my laptop
(also gentoo, more in a minute) had to when the stable one didn't work.
for the moment i'm running 2.4.24 kernel because one of the major things
i wanted to be able to do was play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on
linux, and i've heard the nvidia drivers don't play as nicely with 2.6 yet.

however, this is not my first gentoo install, my laptop was about 2 or 3
months ago. i also did a stage 1 on it but chose the 2.0.6-pre9 kernel
because i had heard it was faster and better power management for
laptops, etc. that took the better part of a weekend, including getting
X up and running (mmmm fluxbox) and all that jazz. i never did get the
sound working but it's an ess 18xx chip and alsa and the kernel drivers
seem to be arguing back and forth about who's job it is to use such a
piece of crap sound chip. or something.

all in all i'm very happy with gentoo. being a freebsd user makes me
really like the whole portage thing, but having better compatability
with stuff for linux (freebsd's linux compatability is good just not
perfect) makes life easier. ultimately i think i just have the most fun
when i'm installing and getting things set up, once it's in i don't care
as much what i'm using.

wheeeeeee :)

-Evan

<snippety do da>