[CLUE-Tech] Mozilla and Tabs

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 13 10:38:32 MST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:35:42 -0700
Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:

> On 02-11 07:35, Ski Dawg wrote:

> > > I don't think that Mozilla has the ability to do that, but Galeon
> > > does.  "Open new windows in tabs".  However, I haven't been able
> > > to use Galeon in a while, which is too bad - I really like galeon.
> >
> > I was able to do that with Firebird 0.7 version. I just had to load
> > an extension. I think the one I used was called Tabbrowser
> > Preferences (it is available for Firefox). It says:
> > This extension adds GUI options to change some of the hidden tab
> > browser preferences available in Firefox. It also enables "single
> > window mode" by opening links in a new tab instead of a new window.
> >
> > You can see it here:
> > http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tabprefs
> >
> > You can check out all the tab extensions here:
> > http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/list.php/Firefox/tabs
>
> Since you seem to know a bit about this - have you ever seen an
> extension(or an option) that will start a NEW tab when you click on a
> link (outside of Mozilla Firefox) instead of loading the link on the
> current tab?

Here's how:

/usr/local/bin/firefox (or changes for MozillaFirebird)

<---- cut here
#!/bin/sh

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/opt/firefox"
MOZILLA_PATH="/opt/firefox"

# Seems like pidof resides in /sbin on some boxes
# Modifying the PATH to reflect that
PATH="/sbin:${PATH}"

if [ -z "`pidof firefox-bin`" ]; then
        # No firefox running
        ${MOZILLA_PATH}/firefox $@
else
        # firefox running - open a new window
        ${MOZILLA_PATH}/firefox -remote "openURL($@ ,new-tab)"
fi
---- cut here --->

I forget where I got this little gem, but it's a lifesaver.

--
Collins - Denver Area -
Gentoo stable kernel 2.6.3-rc2