[CLUE-Tech] sendmail question

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Fri Feb 13 13:24:26 MST 2004

At 11:26 AM 2/13/2004 -0700, Todd Williams wrote:

>Charles Oriez wrote:
>>I've had some problems that suggest that some of my dnsbl queries are
>>timing out. I would like to increase the appropriate time out
>>parameter.  Any guesses which timeout parameter I should increase in
>>sendmail 8.12 to let my dnsbl queries work right?
>
>Not sure - and not sure it would help.  Several of the DNSBL's have been
>under an intermittent DDOS since August, and sometimes are unreachable.

The dnsbl always seemed reachable even in the middle of the ddos'es,
although their web pages frequently were not. They were timing out on me
though.

For future reference, add the line "options timeout:10" to the file
/etc/resolv.conf and restart sendmail. The 10 is in seconds. the default is
5. SPEWS started responding when I upped to 10.  dnsbl's are treated as dns
servers.