[CLUE-Tech] Qwest DSL and modems

black at galaxy.silvren.com black at galaxy.silvren.com
Fri Feb 13 15:40:59 MST 2004

In a couple of days I'm moving to Parker and believe that I can get Qwest
DSL service in that area. Previously I've used Qwest DSL with MSN and
Eartlink.

When I first got Qwest DSL I purchased a Cisco 678 which worked fine as a
router and even supported port forwarding. Later I moved and signed up
with Earthlink, which provided me with a totally crappy DSL modem.

Currently Qwest is peddling the Actiontec 1520 as their DSL modem of
choice. Frankly, I'm getting tired of having to buy DSL modems, especially
ones with crippled software installed (Earthlink did this on their
supplied modem, and Qwest states that you must use the "special" firmware
they supply, instead of the manufacturer).

Is it possible to use basically any recently produced DSL modem with Qwest
service? What DSL modems are others out there using or recommend? Ideally
I'd like to buy a DSL modem/router that had built in 802.11g.

Thanks!