[CLUE-Tech] Qwest DSL and modems

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Feb 13 17:50:30 MST 2004

* black at galaxy.silvren.com (black at galaxy.silvren.com) wrote:
> In a couple of days I'm moving to Parker and believe that I can get Qwest
> DSL service in that area. Previously I've used Qwest DSL with MSN and
> Eartlink.
>
> When I first got Qwest DSL I purchased a Cisco 678 which worked fine as a
> router and even supported port forwarding. Later I moved and signed up
> with Earthlink, which provided me with a totally crappy DSL modem.
>
> Currently Qwest is peddling the Actiontec 1520 as their DSL modem of
> choice. Frankly, I'm getting tired of having to buy DSL modems, especially
> ones with crippled software installed (Earthlink did this on their
> supplied modem, and Qwest states that you must use the "special" firmware
> they supply, instead of the manufacturer).
>
> Is it possible to use basically any recently produced DSL modem with Qwest
> service? What DSL modems are others out there using or recommend? Ideally
> I'd like to buy a DSL modem/router that had built in 802.11g.
>
> Thanks!

I believe that the Cisco 678 will work fine (the 675 *won't*).  You
don't need to buy an Actiontec.  My mother-in-law has one -- they are
OK, but certainly nothing better than the Cisco.  Just tell Qwest you
will be getting your own modem.

I don't remember if Qwest is still officially supporting the 678, but
many are still using it.

Tim
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==