[CLUE-Tech] Qwest DSL and modems

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Fri Feb 13 18:09:00 MST 2004

i'm on qwest dsl with Techangle and am pleased with the actiontec
dslmodem/natbox/4porthub that i'm paying $2 a month for. from what i can
see the firmware isn't crippled and i can do all the
portforwarding/dhcp/whatever that i want (all the options listed on
actiontec's website coencide with what i see in the modem options).

the modem/natbox also comes with a pair of pcmcia slots and is 'wireless
ready' meaning if you buy an actiontec 802.11 card, it'll be a WAP too
(the options for mac filtering and WEP are even in my configs for the
modem without a pcmcia card) they say 'actiontec or actiontec certified'
though i havne't seen any 'actiontec certified' cards out there. then
again i don't have any wireless devices so it's no big deal for me.

i tried to find an alternative modem that would work but according to
the specs quest is using, this one is much cheaper to just rent for the
time being. i was also told qwest has a habit of changing specs on their
end every so often such that buying a new modem every year or 2 would suck.

search the list archives for posts by me back in november asking what
the specs are for more details.

HTH

-Evan