[CLUE-Tech] Qwest DSL and modems

Dan Vande More dvm at firstlink.com
Fri Feb 13 20:43:31 MST 2004

I have hundreds of customers on the Actiontec, and very few have ever
had problems. It supports nat quite well, port forwarding, mac spoofing,
etc.
The nice thing is about this setup is Qwest still owns the modem, and if
there is an issue, qwest supplies you with another one.
Most of my customers run some type of linux/are windows "power users"/or
are business connections.
The 1520 does support wireless, just not natively, they come with 2
(iirc) pc card slots in which an actiontec approved wireless nic can be
inserted in. (That could be bad, depending on what they charge for the
card)
Ref: http://www.qwest.net/nav4/solutions/pwr_tools/actiontec1520.html

I did purchase the 678 when I first moved to littleton and cost me about
$300 bones from qwest. I also own 2 msn modems (arescom?) which are the
biggest pieces of trash I've ever used. The 678 is a good modem, and
supports CAP and DMT. Qwest still has a few places in the denver area
there that only run CAP(and they refuse to upgrade), so try not to buy a
DMT only modem unless you've consulted with qwest on which type of line
it is. You can pick up 678s on ebay dirt cheap. I'd sell mine but I have
a feeling it's a bit flakey. Could be the 4mb connection I had with
them, connections seem to decrease in reliability the faster they get.

HTH

dan