[CLUE-Tech] Qwest DSL and modems

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Feb 14 10:44:48 MST 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:43:31PM -0700, Dan Vande More wrote:

> biggest pieces of trash I've ever used. The 678 is a good modem, and
> supports CAP and DMT. Qwest still has a few places in the denver area
> there that only run CAP(and they refuse to upgrade), so try not to buy a
> DMT only modem unless you've consulted with qwest on which type of line
> it is.

Good point. In the case of the Cisco 678, whether it supports CAP or DMT
depends on the firmware. I found that out when Qwest sent me one with
CAP firmware for a DMT line--Dohhh! Took about 6 weeks before I figured
out why it didn't work, no thanks to Qwest tech support. You used to be
able to download firmware upgrades from Qwest, which of course would
also enable you to switch the device between CAP and DMT, as I did. But
they didn't exactly make it easy to find the download site, and if
they're not supporting the Cisco 678 anymore it may be gone.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)