[CLUE-Tech] wireless problem

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 13 21:17:34 MST 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude C810 running RH9. I have added
> a Truemobile 1150 pcmcia 802.11b card running the
> orinoco driver, connecting to a Netgear WG602 access
> point. I have had this combination for about a year,
> and thought that even though I do everything over ssh,
> I should
> tie things down a bit. I changed the default essid and
> gave the Netgear a static IP address, and I upgraded
> the firmware to 1.5.67. Everything worked fine for
> several days after these changes, but since
> a week ago, I've been seeing very poor performance
> (lag while typing, etc.) as well as the following in
> /var/adm/messages:
>
> Feb 11 10:56:20 martin kernel: eth1: New link status:
> Disconnected (0002)
>

> Running kismet shows another couple of stations in my
> neighborhood, one even running on channel 11.  I moved
> to channel 7, but the problem remains.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, as well as pointers to
> other resources (mailing lists, etc.) that could also
> be helpful.

Unfortunately 2.4 GHz low-power devices abound.  Baby monitors,
Cordless Phones, even your microwave oven's center frequency is around
2.4 GHz (just happens to be the right frequency for warming water
molecules -- thus how the food gets cooked).  The bands used to be
licensed, but the FCC's latest "grand experiment" has been to open up
bands and let them become a free-for-all.  It has brought us great
gains in devices like 802.11b and 802.11g wireless cards but it also
comes with it the joy of interference.

First a theory:

 From your description, I think you're struggling with a new broadbanded
2.4 GHz transmitter in your neighborhood.  The only sure-fire way to
find it would be to do a site survey with a radio service monitor and a
spectrum analyzer.  However you might be able to pick up one of these
cheap $20 "find 802.11b signals" type gadgets... they're just a cheesy
2.4 GHz receiver and a light, in many cases.  In your case, the cheaper
the better -- you don't want one with enough intelligence to tell the
difference between 802.11b signals and other transmitters.

It could also be an 802.11g system if you live in close proximity to
your neighbors (apartments, multi-family "dwellings"...I love that
phrase, always makes me think of the cliff dwellings in the southwest.)
  802.11g just spreads the signal out across the entire set of channels
802.11b uses... to get more bandwidth through. Someone could have fired
up an 802.11g system close-by if you live in an apartment or tight
quarters.  In that case, distance away from the system is the best way
to alleviate the problem.

The joys of RF ... bit-rate is a linear math function to bandwidth.  To
get a higher bit-rate you have to up your bandwidth utilized.  However
RF signal decreases 2 X distance^2 as you move away from a
transmitter... an exponential function... so moving away from an
offending transmitter or noise source is usually more effective than
anything, especially at the low power levels allowed in 2.4 GHz
devices.

Of course... geeks constantly publish "hacks" to add external antennas
to 802.11b and other Part 15 devices.  Most of these are thankfully
very very bad designs (the infamous "Pringles Can" antennas come to
mind... complete crap from an RF design standpoint) and the geeks don't
feed them with hardline (coax is extremely lossy at 2.4 GHz... most of
your signal leave the coax and radiates or turns into heat before it
reaches the antenna) so they aren't very effective -- but some people
do figure out the "right" tools to use and exceed the Effective
Radiated Power (ERP) limits imposed by law on Part 15 devices by tens
to hundreds of watts, depending on the gain of their antenna system.
Luckily to get those levels of gain the signal has to be very focused
-- high gain antennas are very directional by design -- so the
interference problem is localized.

The best advice for help:

Experiment -- you should just try different channels until you find the
best performer.  Or a switch to 802.11a and move up a few GHz in
frequency would work too.  At least until those become popular.  ;-)
Once they all become overly-popular in a densely populated area --
we're all basically hosed.  (GRIN)

And the real reason for the problem:

In general the FCC's stance right now is "give away bandwidth to
whoever wants it... and may the original licensees be damned."  This
shows clearly in the decisions made over the last five to ten years by
the Commission -- EXCEPT in the traditional broadcast bands.  Those are
locked up forever by the money and powerbase of the owners of the radio
and TV companies.

Broadband-over-powerlines (or "BPL" as it's called) is turning into the
next huge RF battle.  BIG money behind it.  Huge interests who donate
to Congressional representatives and Senators.

Most engineers agree, HF-band communications the world over will be
virtually wiped out by BPL technology -- it's been seen in the test
areas in the real world and also in the labs -- BPL noise will be
broadbanded and hideous.

Ham Radio, Shortwave Broadcasts, and Emergency long-range
communications systems like FEMA and others have -- all will be
destroyed so people can have web pages and spam.  And yet, your elected
officials have appointed people to the FCC Commission Board (and this
is a direct quote from a Commissioner) who claim BPL is "Broadband
Nirvana."  Hmmm... another free-for-all coming, I think.

Wonder who's paying them off... follow the money!  That's what good
investigators do...

Sorry -- I wandered off-topic here, but anyway... that's where it's
headed... RF spectrum used to be completely unregulated, then
government stepped in, now government is backing out and going to let
"the markets" decide who uses what spectrum... at least over the
long-term that seems to be where it's all headed.  So like our legal
system -- your RF devices will work if you can afford the latest and
greatest gadgets with built in filtering for all the RF pollution
someday.  That level of RF pollution is coming -- probably sometime in
the next 30 years.

Back to your issue:

You'll probably have a hard time finding your noise source.  And
devices licensed under Part 15 of the FCC regulations and other
regulations like those that cover the ISM bands (Industrial,
Scientific, and Medical) like 2.4 GHz effectively wash clean the hands
of the only governing body capable of policing the RF spectrum.  It's
bad policy.  (900 MHz was the first to go... the licensed users of 900
MHz including Amateur Radio Operators and the Federal Government find
the band all but useless for many applications today because of baby
monitors, cordless phones, and other RF crud... oh yeah, I think
Ricochet is there too, and one other local wireless ISP -- Suburban
Broadband's gear.)

Good luck with it... yes, 802.11b/g are a great application of
technology that has spurred on lots of business, but it comes at a
price... spectrum management is impossible on the 2.4 GHz bands now...
thus, certain limited incidents like yours where your device simply
won't work will happen more and more often.

On the bright side, there's a big future in RF spectrum analysis tools.
  A friend works for a company that specializes in DSP-based portable
spectrum analysis gear.  So far the largest purchasers are government
agencies battling interference from commercial entities (cell phone
companies, some 2-way systems) who don't maintain their licensed
systems well -- but many investigations have led to malfunctioning
consumer gear.

He related one story of asking a department store to turn off their
wireless music distribution system because the transmitter was
malfunctioning and jamming a local Police dispatch frequency.  And they
DIDN'T WANT TO.  They also attempted to turn it back on as soon as the
investigators went to leave, so they went in and just confiscated the
thing.  Great priorities, there guys... the customer MUST have MUSAK!!!
  Who cares if the cops can't talk on their radios?  ;-)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com