[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Feb 16 18:28:26 MST 2004

On Feb 16, 2004, at 12:46 PM, Collins Richey wrote:

> MS Office is a great product on a lousy operating system with
> repressive
> licensing practices.  It's availability on Linux would not stop the
> repressive licensing practices.  I'd rather put my money (precious
> little is required) on continual improvements in OpenOffice.

I wouldn't say "great" product.  It was always an "adequate" product.
Lotus 1-2-3, and WordPerfect were always better products than Excel and
Word.

I saw a post on another list I agree with -- I'd rather give money to a
finished OpenOffice seller than to pay for closed-source MS Office
(again).

Paying to finish the open-source product makes more sense, even for
IBM... Sun already sees that... wonder why IBM wants to put so much
effort into the project when they could just help bring OpenOffice
along...?

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com